Newest Updates On How You Can Help or Recieve Help With The Black Forest Fire (As Of Thursday 6-13-13)

1013032_10200339616427978_1860586493_n   Here’s an updated list of how you can give or receive help due to the Black Forest Fire. As of this morning we have learned there are now 360 homes that have been completely destroyed. 38,000 people have been evacuated so there’s obviously a huge need for help. There’s a lot of people without access to a TV right now so as we continue to gather information on how you can help or need help with the Black Forest Fire, we’ll try to update you without posting too often. We know there’s a lot of neighbors, friends, and family who want to help in any way they can. And we’re watching in horror as more homes are burning and know there’s a lot of our fellow citizens who are going to need help. And again, as we saw last year with the Waldo Canyon Fire, when there’s a need, we can rally as a community and give it. We also have seen a huge outpouring of support, prayers and donations coming from those out of state…just because they care.

Because these needs can change and facilities fill up, please call first.

GENERAL HELP: 21st Space Wing has established virtual and telephone hotlines to answer general inquiries. Residents are asked to direct all questions to the 21st Space Wing Facebook page or to the Public Affairs main office line at (719) 556-5185. The Facebook page and phone number will be manned 24 hours a day throughout the duration of the fire.

If you haven’t done so yet, register your cell phone for reverse 911 calls at

If you need information about the fire and evacuations, call (719) 444-8300.

Peak Vista Community Health Center, located at Falcon Elementary School (12050 Falcon Highway in Peyton) is offering free help to those with respiratory issues. All ages and no insurance required. (719) 344-6247.

To locate friends and loved ones or to register yourself as safe and well, visit

The Front Range air quality is currently considered “unhealthy for sensitive groups” according to The Colorado Dept. of Health and Human Services. Check for updates at

The local mental health crisis line is (719) 635-7000 or visit

Small business owners can get relief with insurance and disaster relief from the Small Business Development Center at The University of Colorado at Colorado Springs. (719) 667-3803 For more info

The Disaster Relief Assistance Center is open fro 8 to 6 daily now. They are offering resources for those who have their home, including counseling services, insurance agents, and Waldo Canyon survivors who have gone through this. They are located at 1675 Garden of the Gods Road.


Unplug electrical equipment like radios, TV, small appliances. Secure your home by closing and locking windows and doors. Leave freezers and fridge plugged in (unless there’s a risk of flooding). Shut off water, gas and electricity.





Rainbow International of Colorado Springs is opening the facility to any evacuees in need of space. Self-contained RV’s are best but all are welcome. The address is 7195 Templeton Gap Road in Colorado Springs. You can call them at (719) 573-7331

In case you haven’t heard, New Life Church, which was serving as a shelter had to be evacuated earlier due to heavy smoke.

Palmer Ridge High School in Monument is still open to those who had to evacuate. They are located at 19225 Monument Hill Road (719) 867-8600. You can bring your pet with you.

Soldier’s and their families dislocated due to the fire can find shelter at Fort Carson’s Youth Center, Building 1518, 5950 Ware Street (7190 526-2794. You can also bring your pet.

Double Tree Hotel is offering reduced rates for evacuees and accepts pets at the 1775 E. Cheyenne Mountain Blvd location. (719) 576-8900.

The YMCA is opening their facilities to evacuees, first responders, and anyone without air condition that can’t open their windows free of charge to shower, cool off, and hang out. The locations are:

Tri-Lakes, 17250 Jackson Creek Parkway

Briargate, 4025 Family Place

Garden Ranch, 2380 Montebello Drive West

Downtown, 207 N. Nevada Ave.

Southeast, 2190 Jet Wing Drive

Fountain Valley, 301 East Iowa Ave.

Cottonwood Creek Recreational Center, 3920 Dublin Road

Memorial Park Recreational Center, 1605 E. Pikes Peak Ave.

For more info



Flying W Ranch has space for horses. Their number is (719) 499-2324

The County Fairgrounds in Calhan is taking in horses. They are also in need of water buckets, halters and lead ropes. They are located at 366 10th Street in Calhan. Their number is (719) 520-7880.

Adams County Fairgrounds is also providing room for horses and RV’s. Call (720) 810-3238 *Call first (I just called them and they still have availability but would like you to call before heading over.

The Humane Society is rescuing pets from the evacuated homes where pets were left behind. If you had to leave your pet or couldn’t get to it before your area was evacuated you can call them at (719) 473-1741 ext 1

Bear Creek Veterinary is taking cats and dogs at no charge and will keep your pets while evacuations last. 960 Pico Point in Colorado Springs. (719) 685-1177.

Norris Penrose Events Center is FULL.

Rampart Kennels is FULL.

Elbert County Fairgrounds can take large animals. 95 Ute Ave. in Kiowa. (303) 621-3152.

Woodmen Kennels located at 740 Dublin Road in Colorado Springs is taking cats and dogs. (719) 598-4154

Aavondale Pet Care Center located at 17140 Jones Road in Peyton is taking all types of animals, including reptiles, birds, goats and horses. (719) 683-4617.

Colorado K-9 Acres in Falcon can take dogs, chickens and goats but not horses. (719) 683-8640.

Rocky Mountain Equine is matching requests with resources for those needing to move large animals. Contact them at (719) 481-2749.

Colorado Equine Veterinary Services needs volunteers to help with trailer animals and at their clinic. (719) 749-9500.

Financial donations for electricity, water and hay can be sent to Pikes Peak or Rodeo Foundation c/0 Rob Alexander, Stockmens Bank, 601 N. Nevada, Colorado Springs, Colorado 80903 (this is a nonprofit group.)

You can financially donate to the Humane Society at designate Black Forest Fire via the drop-down box on donation form. Visit for updates on needs.


ALTERNATIVE DROP-OFFS FOR CARE & SHARE (which makes it really easy to help donate!) You can now drop off much-needed donations at these alternative spots for Care & Share. They as of now, need donations of canned and boxed meals, soup, cereal, peanut butter, canned vegetables and fruits, and snacks. You can also text “donate” to 41010 to donate $10. This is super easy to do and the $10 will show up on your next phone bill. It literally took me less than a minute to do this. Alternative drop-off sites for Care & Share include; Wendy’s, Sam’s Club, Marco’s Pizza, Colorado Springs Dodge, Louie’s Pizza, Walgreen’s, Texas Roadhouse, Freddy’s Frozen Custard and Bliss Bakery.

IF YOU HAVE ART that needs safe storage, Kemper Galleries is offering help. They are located at 5420 N. Academy Blvd. in Colorado Springs. Their number is (719) 235-0010.

COMPLIMENTARY PIZZA AND FOUNTAIN DRINKS are available for all evacuees and firefighters affected by the Black Forest Fire until the fire is out at Poor Richard’s. They are located at 324 1/2 N. Tejon, in downtown Colorado Springs.

The Sky Sox is offering free tickets to all displaced by the fires to Thursday’s 7:05 game. They are also accepting donations at the ballpark of nonperishable food items. (You’ll receive a free upper reserved seat voucher for any 2013 game, except for July 4, pending availability.)

Labels Clothier in Manitou Springs is hosting a silent auction to benefit those evacuated. They are located at 906 Manitou Ave. # 104. (719)- 434-8702



Clothing, household items and personal care items for fire victims can be donated to the Colorado Springs Rescue Mission located at 1 West Las Vegas Street in Colorado Springs.

The Salvation Army of Colorado Springs & El Paso County is seeking volunteers to help man mobile canteen centers. They are also in dire need of sports drinks (not water) to hand out to evacuees and first responders. You can drop off sports drinks at 908 Yuma Street in Colorado Springs. To volunteer, call (719) 636-3891.

Donations to Pikes Peak Community Foundation’s Emergency Relief Fund can be made at


If you haven’t seen the list of homes damaged and undamaged in the area, you can go to for updates as they come.

For more information if you didn’t catch some of our earlier updates…

And if you happen to be in the area of the Florence Eagles Lodge, which is helping firefighters at the Royal Gorge Fire, they are in need of water, Gatorade and volunteers. They are located at 117 South Petroleum Street in Florence. Their number is (719) 784-3844. And as always, if you have information that can help others, please feel free to add it. Our hearts go out to those who have lost their homes and those who have been evacuated. And a big thank you as always to the brave firefighters and first responders who think of others before themselves!

Speak Your Mind


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This