This meal not only sounds like an autumn meal, it tastes like one. And pairing a hearty soup and flavorful salad makes for a healthy, no-fuss meal….perfect for this time of year. The creamy apple and pecan recipe can be stuffed in pitas or simply served as a salad. If you like, you could add chicken to it. The entire meal came in at approximately $8.60…for a family of four.
CURRIED PUMPKIN SOUP-
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Serves: 4 for approx $5.46
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (14 oz) container low-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/2 of a 13.5 oz can lite coconut milk*
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Garnishes: sour cream and chopped green onion
Saute onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and next 4 ingredients; saute 1 minute. Add pumpkin, water, and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; add coconut milk, lime juice, and salt, and simmer, stirring often, 25 minutes. Remove from heat; cool.
Process pumpkin mixture, in batches, in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Return pumpkin mixture to Dutch oven, and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated. Garnish if desired.
*You can use the remaining coconut milk for another meal like a simple and vegan curry by simmering vegetables (such as onions, peppers, carrots, potatoes and garlic) in coconut milk with curry powder and serving it over rice. Or if you’re making a cake from a boxed mix, you can substitute the oil and water with the same amount of coconut milk.
CREAMY APPLE-AND-PECAN STUFFED PITAS-
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 for approx $3.14
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/8 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 apples (1 Granny Smith and 1 Gala apple), cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 pita pockets
- Salad greens or fresh spinach
Stir together cranberries, raisins, mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice. Add apples, celery and pecans. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Stuff pita halves with apple mixture and salad greens or fresh spinach. Or simply serve as a salad.